As it turns out it wasn’t just abstract ideals like democracy and human rights that benefitted from the recent revolutions in the Middle East. Arms Manufacturers are expecting a sales bonanza.
- The Middle East spent $111 billion on arms in 2010, with the bulk of the purchases coming from Saudi Arabia
- Somewhat surprisingly South America saw the largest increase in military spending in 2010
- India was the world’s largest arms importer in 2010
- The US accounts for 41% of the world’s military spending
- The US military budget has increased by 81% since 2001
You can read more about the state of the global arms market here.
Source: BBC News